The transcripts of the trial of Charles Taylor, former President of Liberia. More…

While we were in training we had established contact with some of the Mahn and Dan ethnic members of the Armed Forces of Liberia that were stationed both in the capital of Monrovia and at Camp Schefflein. We sent regular messages into Liberia. In fact, one of the guys that was being trained as a special force came periodically from Libya and went into Liberia, so there was a group within the Armed Forces of Liberia that was aware of this operation taking place.

We also made some contacts at Camp Naama. That is on the records also, N-A-A-M-A, in Bong County. We had in our midst a former colonel of the Armed Forces of Liberia, Colonel Samuel Varney. Varney was a trained veteran of about 25/30 years of the armed forces. Now, Camp Naama served as the artillery base in the Republic of Liberia. Naama is about the largest military base in Liberia. It hosted the artillery command and the then engineering command of the Armed Forces of Liberia. Now, Colonel Varney once commanded that base and had sympathy and respect amongst the officers on that base.

Now, what we did was we sent him with that Guinean delegation on that operation - I am using the word "delegation", sorry, with that Guinean group, and their job was to try to get in on the base, find some of the loyalists to Colonel Varney and use them to start and take over Camp Naama.

The third part of this was to send into Monrovia, both at the Barclay Training Centre and Camp Schefflein, some of our Special Forces that would be at those bases with their contacts that once the operation started on the border we anticipated that the Naama and the Gbutuo operation would take place. That would draw the Armed Forces of Liberia to begin to move reinforcement out of the city to the border. Those Special Forces in town and their collaborators would then seize Schefflein and BTC, which meant a very quick operation. This is how it was planned.

Unluckily for us we had - and I don't want to be held to specific numbers. It has been a long time. But we sent into Monrovia about a command or platoon of about 44 men. They were divided into those two areas. Unsuccessfully for us, as the men were infiltrating into Monrovia some of them had reached their targets. They did not go in a group of a platoon. It would be silly. It took us several days to infiltrate them by the twos, by the threes, different - it may have taken us almost a week to infiltrate the men in there.

The last group, as they were going into the city, some way somehow as information sometimes will leak the security picked it up and some of these men were arrested immediately, a few of them killed and the rest of them commenced exposing the plan, confessing. Even those that had already reached their destination at both Camp Schefflein and the Barclay Training Centre were very much in danger and they too began to scatter and trying to find their way back to the border to join the group that was supposed to attack Gbutuo.

The group that was on their way to Camp Naama --

Keyboard shortcuts

j previous speech k next speech